Educational – Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Discharge

Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Discharge

  • Have your federal student loans discharged through TPD
  • Complete an online application to qualify for the loan discharge
  • This program is administered by Nelnet Total and Permanent Disability Servicer in conjunction with the U.S. Department of Education

According to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, student loan debt is the only type of consumer debt that has grown since the economic downturn. It has outpaced credit card and auto loans to become the largest form of consumer debt outside mortgages. Needless to say, many millions across America have at least some experience with paying off federal student loans. But life isn’t always mapped out; unexpected problems often arise. Force majeure in the form of illness and accidents can leave a person permanently disabled, unable to work in order to earn the cash required to pay off student loans. In these unfortunate instances, Total Permanent Disability Discharge can be a viable option.

How to show that you are totally and permanently disabled

  • Veterans can submit paperwork from the U.S. Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs stating that the VA has determined that a service-connected disability has rendered you unemployable
  • Social Security Disability Insurance recipients can submit their SSA notice of award of SSDI or SSI benefits
  • Submit a physician’s certification stating that you are totally and permanently disabled
  • A representative can apply for a TPD discharge on your behalf
  • You may be asked to provide additional supporting documents

Nelnet works with the U.S. Dept. of education in order to award these discharges. The online application is designed to streamline the process, and one application takes care of everything, regardless of how many loan holders a person is borrowing from.

Contacting Nelnet Total and Permanent Disability Servicer